Tuesday, December 04, 2012

John talks preparation for Glengarry and why it's his favorite role to date.

http://broadwaysbestshows.com/buzz/news/2012/12/03/john-c-mcginley-talks-mamets-glengarry-broadway-and-malibu/


How do you feel about your return to Broadway? Does it feel different with Glengarry Glen Ross?
It is profoundly different because last time I was in a show, it tuned up for a month in three different cities before it came to Broadway. We ran for two weeks of previews. We opened on Friday and closed on Sunday. It was completely and utterly devastating. It’s been different doing this run since it is pretty much sold out and will run until January 20th.!
Before returning, you have been keeping plenty busy in the worlds of television, film, voice-over work, etc… Do you have a favorite medium you’ve had the chance to work in?
Doing Glengarry is the single most exciting thing I’ve done as an actor. If you’re lucky enough to make a living as an actor, your family still has bills to pay. If you can get into the fraternity that is voice-over acting, it’s grand! If you can get on a TV show that runs for 9 years, that’s what dreams are made of. If you can do 6 movies with Oliver Stone, you’re lucky because the only other director who hires actors again that many times is Preston Sturgess. I feel I’m the single luckiest guy on the planet.
Recently, you’ve been working on multiple projects simultaneously. How do you balance your time while juggling all of them?
I just love doing it so it fuels me. The chaos fuels me.
Do you ever need any escapes from the chaos?
We live in Malibu, so I have to commute to every gig I get. It gives me time to go over stuff as I drive. I grew up in New York and Malibu reminds me of the Jersey Shore. Malibu is equidistant to Los Angeles as Bayhead is to the Village. I get the best of both worlds this way!
Going back to Glengarry, how to you start your process of getting to know your character Dave Moss?
I needed to start with the music of the language before I did anything else. I set up a theater boot camp in my rehearsal space in Malibu back in August. I hired a young kid to come out and just do the music of the words for four weeks. I used a metronome and many tricks to really get the rhythm and language in my bones.

No comments: